**CALLING ALL STUDENTS**
***Students who register and attend to participate in the Student Presentation Competition or the Map Gallery will receive a $10 rebate check at the Conference***October 5th, 2016 : 8:30am-3:00pm Classic Center 200 North Thomas St, Athens, GA 30601 SUBMIT ALL STUDENT MAPS AND ABSTRACTS TO Justyna Grinholc at email@example.com
If you are currently an enrolled college student in Georgia, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee, or Kentucky and have applied geospatial solutions to your coursework, you may be eligible to win $$$ by presenting your hard work in front of our select judges of Past Presidents and GIS and Remote Sensing Professionals!!! Submit abstracts to compete for prize money in separate undergraduate and graduate competitions. We are accepting abstracts and student maps until 5pm on Wednesday, September 28th. We are also hosting a map gallery at the conference, please submit your maps by Wednesday, September 28th to enter to win under the student category!
- 8:30-10:00 – Student Presentations
- 10:30-12:00 – Student Presentations
- 12:00-1:30 – Lunch and Networking
- 1:30-3:00 – Mapping Your Way Into A GIS Career – Panel for Students & Young Professionals (Susan Miller, Xavier Davis, Justyna Grinholc and Nathan Roberson)
- 3:30-4:15 – Closing session & awards
Awards and Benefits
- Cash rewards for the best presentation for undergraduate and graduate student. Additional awards for the map gallery.
- Award Certificate and recognition on the Georgia URISA and Midsouth ASPRS Website
- All awards come with a free year membership to GAURISA and Midsouth ASPRS
- Presentations will be featured in the URISA Journal “The GIS Profesional” and the GAURISA newsletter
- Earn Points towards your GISP certification
- Presenters will be showing research projects in front of potential employers
- Must be the original work of the Student
- Only one submission per Student
- Presentations must relate to Geography, Remote Sensing, Photogrammetry, GIS or a related field as applied to a professional field
- Presenter must be registered as an attendee at conference
Conference Registration Instructions
To register for this event click here and complete the registration form. Please complete your registration by September 16th. You will be notified of your selection status by September 28th If you have questions on the registration process, please contact: Sarah Burford, Georgia URISA Events Chair, or contact Justyna Grinholc, Georgia URISA Education Chair.
Showcase a map, poster, or plat at the Map Gallery for another opportunity to demonstrate your cartographic abilities in front of potential employers, earn points towards professional certification and possibly win Best Map/Poster Cartographic Design in the Student Category.
Mapping Your Way Into a GIS Career – A Panel for Students/Young Professionals
This session will introduce students to the Geospatial Industry. Several career paths will be highlighted, including the skills required for entry- and mid-level positions. It will also give advice on creating effective resumes and portfolios, as well as proper etiquette and tips for a successful interview.
- Introduction to the Geospatial Industry
- Skills Required for Entry and Mid-Level Positions within these Industries
- Building a Resume and Portfolio
- Etiquette and Tips for a Successful Interview
Potential Highlighted Geospatial Industries:
- GIS Consulting Firm / Private Industry
- State/Local/Federal Government
- Aerial Photography/Remote Sensing
- Software Sales and Marketing
Social Media Connections: Look for us on Facebook and LinkedIn at ‘Georgia URISA’ …We’ll be posting updates and presentation tips to help you out!